Everything you ever wanted to know about me, and stuff you didn't, but were laughing too much to be able to ask. In words, pictures and links.

Thursday 22 March 2007

Where do I begin?

Call me Marty.
I have been working for St. John Ambulance for almost six years. This year, however, I have actually taken the plunge and joined as a volunteer, so far I have done quite a lot of training and I'm soon to be unleashed on the general public.
My first love though, is Motor racing. I have taken so much pleasure from Motor racing over the years, so this year I have decided to put something back. So I have become a Marshal.
If you're unsure what a Marshal is, next time you see a motor race on TV, look for the guys and girls in bright orange overalls. They put out fires, drag drivers and cars to safety, and help with the general smooth running of all motor racing events. So, if you go to a race meeting, say hello to a Marshal, it could be me.
I did my training back in February, it was a whole day and covered all aspects of marshalling.
I am going to do another training day at Castle Combe (my closest citcuit) on April 1st.
I must just say, I am not alone in this venture, a good friend from work is into this too.
Our first event, with real Marshalling involved, will be at Thruxton on April 11th. It's not a full race meeting, just testing so, hopefully, it will be a gentle easing into the world of the marshal........................................

2 comments:

David said...

Good stuff Marty - it sounds like you really enjoy helping other people. All the best with St. John and the marshalling.

Congratulations on starting your new site! :)

Anonymous said...

This is a very enjoyable site to visit. I also especially enjoyed reading your brothers blog. As an ex archer myself (field archery) I found it fascinating. All the best to him.
I can't wait to hear about your adventures as a Marshall!